MPH - Public Health Practice
Based at the Phoenix Campus
The Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is an interdisciplinary College-wide program that prepares students to develop the public health skills needed to work in a variety of governmental and non-governmental settings including the local, county and state departments of health, the Indian Health Service, Medicaid and Medicare programs, hospitals, and community health centers.
Students learn to work effectively as part of multidisciplinary teams to develop, manage and evaluate public health programs that are appropriate for decreasing health disparities between and within diverse populations.
The Public Health Practice concentration is geared toward students who are able to enroll in courses that utilize a combination of on-line, video conference, and in person teaching modalities. Students selecting the public health practice program should possess strong administrative skills, an academic background in a public health related field and/or experience working or volunteering within at least one public health program.
Course work includes subject matter in the core areas of public health:
- Environmental and occupational health
- Public health policy and management
- Socio-cultural and behavioral aspects of public health
Students obtain additional skills in the administration and fiscal management of programs that address the health beliefs in a variety of cultures.
Public Health Practice Curriculum
Total Minimum Credit Requirement = 42 units
REQUIRED CORE COURSES (15 units)
- CPH 573A Basic Principles of Epidemiology (3)
- CPH 574 Public Health Policy and Management (3)
- CPH 575 Environmental and Occupational Health (3)
- CPH 576A Biostatistics in Public Health (3)
- CPH 577 Sociocultural & Behavioral Aspects of Public Health (3)
- Internship Preparation Workshop (required; non-credit)
REQUIRED PUBLIC HEALTH PRACTICE COURSES (24 units)
- CPH 569 Fundamentals of Health Budgeting and Financial Management (3)
- CPH 572 Applied Public Health Practice (3)
- CPH 641 Advanced Health Care Administration (3)
- CPH 696V Public Health Practice Seminar (1 unit - 2 times)
- CPH 909 Master's Report "Internship" (9)
- Service Learning Course (approved by Faculty Mentor) (1)
- Planning/Evaluation Course (approved by Faculty Mentor) (3)
REQUIRED ELECTIVE COURSES (minimum 3 units) - approved by Faculty Mentor
Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health - Phoenix Campus
714 E. Van Buren Street, Suite 119
Phoenix, Arizona 85006
Course registration and payment for the Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice occurs through the Outreach College. Please note that students who are eligible for the University of Arizona Qualified Tuition Reduction (faculty, staff, spouses, domestic partners, and dependents) are not eligible to receive QTR benefits for classes taken in the Public Health Practice concentration. Please contact us for additional details.
Public Health Practice Faculty