Offered On Campus in Tucson
The MPH in One Health is offered as a MEZCOPH interdisciplinary concentration administered through the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics. The One Health paradigm recognizes that multi-disciplinary efforts at the intersection between humans, animals and their respective environments are needed to solve complex diseases and public health concerns. These approaches to understanding disease can be visible at the local level but also are needed at a global level. The MPH in One Health will train students in the theory and application of utilizing One Health approaches to address complex public health challenges. Expertise is drawn from all three MEZCOPH departments as well as Colleges and Schools across the University.
The One Health curriculum focuses on the interconnectedness of health among human, animal and environmental systems and how to work within a multi-disciplinary team. The most important aspects of working under this model are Collaboration and Partnership; Informatics and Data Management; Culture, Beliefs, Values and Ethics; Leadership; Management; Policy, Advocacy and Regulation; and Systems Thinking – all of which are embedded concepts and competencies in our core MPH courses, required courses and various recommended electives.
Required Core Courses (16 units)
- EPID 573A Basic Principles of Epidemiology (3)
- PHPM 574 Public Health Policy and Management (3)
- EHS 575 Environmental and Occupational Health (3)
- BIOS 576A Biostatistics in Public Health (3)
- HPS 577 Sociocultural & Behavioral Aspects of Public Health (3)
- EPID 580 Integrated Public Health Learning Experience (1)
- Internship Preparation Workshop (required; non- credit)
- Interprofessional Education Activities (documention required; non-credit)
Required Concentration Courses (14 units)
- EPID 660 Infectious Disease Epidemiology (3)
- EHS 525 Global to Local: Environment Change and Human Health (3)
- EPID 679 One Health Applications and Practice (3)
- EPID 596D Public Health Experience – Student Epidemiology Response Team (SAFER) (2)
- EPID 909 Master's Report "Internship" (3)
Students must take at least one course from each of the four areas (Human, Animal/Pathogen, Environment, and Methods). See Recommended Course Sequencing for the full list.