Community, Environment & Policy Department
1656 E Mabel St.
Medical Research Building 112
Tucson, AZ 85724
Dr. Harber combines medicine and public health perspectives. His crosscutting work considers information development and utilization across public health, occupational medicine, and pulmonary medicine. Integrative approaches include disease process modeling, quantitative decision analysis, informatics (language development and processing), clinical decision support systems, epidemiology, and health services quality analysis.
Previously, Dr. Harber was professor at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and chief of the Division of Occupational-Environmental Medicine. He directed the occupational-environmental medicine residency. He has served as chair of the NIOSH/CDC Study Section (IRG), vice chair of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) for preventive medicine RRC, board of directors of the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, and a member of several IOM committees. His clinical and consulting expertise includes occupational respiratory diseases, occupational toxicology, and occupational ergonomics
Dr. Harber received his M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania and his MPH degree from Johns Hopkins. He is certified in internal medicine, pulmonary diseases, and occupational-environmental medicine.
Examples of Recent Publications:
- Harber P, Su J, Hu CC. Persistence of Respirator Use Learning. J Occup Environ Hyg 2014:0.
- Hu CC, Harber P, Su J. Statistical Approach to Personalizing Respirator Fit Testing Intervals. (Final preparation) 2014.
- Harber P, Boumis RJ, Su J, Barrett S, Alongi G. Comparison of three respirator user training methods. J Occup Environ Med 2013;55:1484-8.
- Harber P, Boumis RJ, Su J, Barrett S, Alongi G. Component analysis of respirator user training. J Occup Environ Hyg 2013;10:556-63.
- Wu S, Harber P, Yun D, Bansal S, Li Y, Santiago S. Anxiety during respirator use: comparison of two respirator types. J Occup Environ Hyg 2011;8:123-8.
- Harber P, Yun D, Santiago S, Bansal S, Liu Y. Respirator impact on work task performance. J Occup Environ Med 2011;53:22-6.
Occupational Lung Disease (asthma, asbestos, beryllium, coal, diacetyl, etc.)
- Harber P, Su J, Alongi G. Beryllium BioBank: 2. Lymphocyte Proliferation Testing. J Occup Environ Med 2014;In press.
- Harber P, Su J, Alongi G. Exposure Factors Associated With Chronic Beryllium Disease Development in Beryllium BioBank Participants. J Occup Environ Med 2014;in press.
- White AG, Watts GS, Lu Z, Meza-Montenegro MM, Lutz EA, Harber P, Burgess JL. Environmental arsenic exposure and microbiota in induced sputum. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2014;11:2299-313.
- Lockey J, Redlich CA, Streicher R, Hakkinen P, Ellison G, Harber P, Utell MJ, Holland J, Nicholas M, Comai A, White M. Isocyanates and health: information needs and research priorities across stakeholders J Occup Environ Med 2014;Submitted.
- Slatore CG, Harber P, Haggerty MC. An Official American Thoracic Society Systematic Review: Influence of Psychosocial Characteristics on Workplace Disability among Workers with Respiratory Impairment. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013;188:1147-60.
- Jeebhay M, Harber P, Baur X, Ribeiro M, Park H, Malo J-L. Impairment and disability evaluations; Introduction:Impairment and disability evaluation: II. Various legislations In: Chan-Yeung M MJ-L, Bernstein D, ed. Asthma in the Workplace, Fourth Edition: CRC Press; 2013.
- Blanc P, Harber P, Lavoie K, Vandenplas O. Impairment and disability evaluations; Introduction: Psychosocial, economic, and medicolegal aspects In: Chan-Yeung M MJ-L, Bernstein D, ed. Asthma in the Workplace, Fourth Edition: CRC Press; 2013.
- Henneberger PK, Redlich CA, Callahan DB, Harber P, Lemiere C, Martin J, Tarlo SM, Vandenplas O, Toren K. An official American thoracic society statement: work-exacerbated asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011;184:368-78.
Health Services & Informatics
- Harber P, Leroy G. Assessing Work-Asthma Interaction with Amazon Mechanical Turk. (in review) 2014.
- Harber P, Su J. Beryllium Biobank 3: Considerations for Improving Chronic Beryllium Disease Screening. J Occup Environ Med 2014;(in press).
- Cloeren M, Gean C, Kesler D, Green-McKenzie J, Taylor M, Upfal M, Hodgson M, Adamo P, Harber P, McLellan R. American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine's Occupational and Environmental Medicine Competencies-2014: ACOEM OEM Competencies Task Force*. J Occup Environ Med 2014;56:e21-40.
- Harber P, Druckman M, Liu Y, Quigley RL. Assessing the Risk of Work-Related International Travel. (final draft) 2014.
- Alongi G, Harber PI, Su J, Brosseau L. Activities of Experienced Industrial Hygienists: Implications for Training and Certification. Submitted 2014.
- Harber P, Alongi G, Su J. Professional Activities of Experienced Occupational Health Nurses. Workplace Health Saf/ AAOHNJ 2014;62:233-42.
- Harber P, Wu S, Bontemps J, Rose S, Saechao K, Liu Y. Value of occupational medicine board certification. J Occup Environ Med 2013;55:532-8.
- Harber P, Bontemps J, Saechao K, Wu S, Liu Y, Elashoff D. Career paths in occupational medicine. J Occup Environ Med 2012;54:1324-9.
- Druckman M, Harber P, Liu Y, Quigley RL. Country factors associated with the risk of hospitalization and aeromedical evacuation among expatriate workers. J Occup Environ Med 2012;54:1118-25.
- Nuckols T, Harber P, Sandin K, Benner D, Weng H, Shaw R, Griffin A, Asch S. Quality measures for the diagnosis and non-operative management of carpal tunnel syndrome in occupational settings. J Occup Rehabil 2011;21:100-19.
- Harber P, Levine J, Bansal S. How frequently should workplace spirometry screening be performed? optimization via analytic models. Chest 2009;136:1086-94.
- Harber P, Bansal S, Balmes J. Progression from beryllium exposure to chronic beryllium disease: an analytic model. Environ Health Perspect 2009;117:970-4.
- Harber P, Wynn BO, Lim YW, Mattke S, Asch SM, Nuckols TK. Selection of workers' compensation treatment guidelines: California experience. J Occup Environ Med 2008;50:1282-92.