Based on the results of recent studies, the following measure may help to reduce transmission of H. pylori bacteria:
- Practice good hygiene and hand washing, especially with food preparation.
- All patients with chronic gastrointestinal symptoms that may be associated with H. pylori infection should be tested and treated to prevent exposure to family members.
- Patients should complete the full course of therapy (antibiotics and acid blockers) to maximize the potential for a cure.
- Maintain proper nutrition to prevent iron deficiency anemia.
- Increase cruciferous vegetable intake (ie. cauliflower, cabbage, and broccoli)
- Support policies to improve living conditions in developing countries
Human vaccines against H. pylori infections are in early stages of clinical trials.