Offered On Campus in Tucson
The MPH degree in Environmental and Occupational Health (EOH) is offered by the Department of Community, Environment and Policy. There are two tracks available for students to pursue: Environmental and Occupational Health (EOH) and Industrial Hygiene (IH).
Both tracks prepare individuals to evaluate and control health risks posed to communities and workers by chemical, biological contaminants, and physical exposures. The EOH track provides greater flexibility in selection of electives and emphasis areas, and requires 42 credit hours for completion. The IH track provides a greater focus on worker protection. Additional courses are required.
Our faculty has expertise in: occupational safety, toxicology, occupational medicine, ergonomics, epidemiology, microbiology, environmental science, environmental modeling and engineering, exposure and risk assessment. As a part of their coursework, students complete both a field-based internship and a research project. Students will work with their faculty advisor to develop their individualized plan of study to best meet their professional goals. The IH track provides a greater focus on worker protection. Additional courses are required and the track requires 45 credit hours.
Required EOH Courses for both tracks (17 units)
Total MPH Minimum Credit Requirements
Environmental and Occupational Health (EOH) Track = 42 units
Industrial Hygiene (IH) Track = 45 units
Typical time to completion: 2 years full-time students, 3-4 years part-time students.
Average time to completion: 2.07
Program Steps to Completion (Full-time student timeline):
- Attend mandatory new student orientation
- First year is devoted to course work
- Attend fall and spring semester MPH Internship Conference
- Each Spring, complete an Annual Progress Report with Faculty Mentor
- Second year is devoted to coursework and Internship project
- 3rd semester, determine internship project, form Internship Committee and complete all planning items
- Complete two interprofessional education (IPE) activities before graduation
- Fourth semester, successfully complete and present internship project at Internship Conference, and submit final internship and graduation items.