The Zuckerman College of Public Health, in collaboration with the United States-Mexico Border Health Commission and El Colegio de la Frontera, have organized a Virtual Seminar series: COVID-19 Response Along the United States-Mexico Border.
The new Virtual Seminar series brings together public health experts and leadership from both sides of the US-Mexico border to share information and mitigation efforts in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and to find opportunities for coordination and share resources.
The seminar series was organized collaboratively by Dr. Cecilia Rosales, Professor & Chair, Division of Public Health Practice & Translational Research, Mel & Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health at the University of Arizona (MEZCOPH) and Maria Gudelia Rangel, PhD, Professor, El Colegio de la Frontera Norte and Adjunct Professor, Public Health Practice & Translational Research, MEZCOPH. Dr. Rosales’ longstanding relationships with healthcare providers and organizations on both sides of the border gave her a unique perspective on the value of the seminar partnership during this international health crisis.
Sign up for the Virtual Seminar series
Seminar Organizing Committee: The Mexican Section of the United States-Mexico Border Health Commission, El Colegio de la Frontera Norte and The University of Arizona, College of Public Health.
Audience: academics, students, public health and healthcare professional, community health workers and others interested in the topic.
Objective: Discuss the current situation facing the United States-México border region regarding the COVID-19, share mitigation efforts implemented in each state, and best practices identified in response to the pandemic.
Session Topics and Dates
1. Epidemiology of COVID-19 in US-MX at the National Level
Thursday, April 30, 2020. 12pm PT
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Epidemiology
- 1.3 Epidemiology of comorbidities associated with complications from COVID-19 (DM, HT, Obesity)
- 1.4 Education and prevention measures
2. Efforts to address the pandemic at the US-Mexico border region, focus on the Texas-Tamaulipas-Nuevo Leon-Coahuila Border Region
Thursday, May 7, 2020. 12pm PT
- 2.1 Epidemiology of COVID-19 (comorbidities)
- 2.2 Mitigation efforts at the local level (state-municipalities)
- 2.3 Binational collaboration
- 2.4 Best practices
5. Mitigation efforts addressing the pandemic on the California-Baja California border
Thursday May28, 2020. 12pm PT
View Zoom Recording
6. Final Panel Discussion – US-Mexico Border State Decision-makers
Thursday, June 4, 2020. 12pm PT
*Please note all sessions will be in Spanish