New public health podcast series will deliver timely expertise during COVID-19
Following on the success of their first season of public health podcasts, “Keeping Up With Public Health,” that debuted in 2019, the Western Region Public Health Training Center (WRPHTC) at the Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health (MEZCOPH), has launched a second season of podcasts, this time focusing on the response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Keeping Up With Public Health: Pandemic Response
The new podcast series features epidemiologists, virologists, experts in exposure science and risk assessment, and public health researchers from the Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health, the University of Arizona Health Sciences, and Arizona State University. Many of these experts are actively engaged in the response to COVID-19 regionally and nationally. They will deliver the most recent scientific information that relates to current topics in pandemic response, vaccine development, and the path to reopening.
Podcast Hosts: Caitlin Meyer Krause & Erich Healy
Episode Length: 20-30 minutes
Hear the trailer for the new series, already available on the Anchor platform:
The first podcast in the series is posted below, with more to follow in the weeks ahead:
New Series Podcast Episodes
Episode 1: Surface Contamination, Hygiene, and PPE
- Jonathan Sexton, MS, PhD, Researcher, Community, Environment, and Policy Department.
- Kelly Reynolds, PhD, Professor & Chair, Community, Environment and Policy Department and Director, Environment, Exposure Science and Risk Assessment Center (ESRAC), MEZCOPH.
Episode 2: Developing Tests and Donating Plasma
- Kacey Ernst, PhD, Associate Professor and Program Director of Epidemiology, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, MEZCOPH
- Janko Nikolich-Zugich, MD, PhD, Department Head and Professor, Immunobiology, Co-Director, Arizona Center on Aging, Professor, College of Medicine, Professor, Dept of Nutritional Sciences, Professor, BIO5 Institute, Professor, Genetics-GIDP, Professor, Neuroscience-GIDP
- Deepta Bhattacharya, PhD, Associate Professor, Immunobiology, University of Arizona Department of Medicine, Department of Immunobiology.
Episode 3: Developing Vaccines
- Bertram Jacobs, PhD, Professor of Virology, School of Life Sciences and Faculty Member, Biodesign Center for Immunotherapy, Vaccines and Virotherapy, Arizona State University.
- Brenda Hogue, PhD, Professor of Virology, School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University.
Episode 4: Communication and Messaging
- Stephan Rains, PhD, Professor of Communication at the University of Arizona
- Laura Gronewold, PhD, Lecturer and Undergraduate Internship Coordinator in the Department of Health Promotion Sciences at the University of Arizona Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health.
Episode 5: Zoonotic Disease, Forecast Modeling, and the Healthcare System
- Joe Gerald, MD, PhD, Associate Professor & Program Director, Public Health Policy & Management
- Keith Joiner, MD, Professor, Public Health, Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Medicine, and Economics
Episode 6: Sexual Assault and Alcohol Consumption Among College Students
- Mary Koss, PhD, Regents’ Professor in the Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health at the University of Arizona
- Elise Lopez, DrPH, Director, Consortium on Gender-Based Violence and Assistant Professor of Practice, Public Health
Episode 7: Building Resilience and Connection During a Pandemic
- Patricia Haynes, PhD, Associate Professor in Health Promotion Sciences and a licensed clinical psychologist with an expertise in sleep psychology, depression and anxiety, and intervention research
- Nicole Yuan, PhD, Associate Professor in the Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health at the University of Arizona