One Health is a relatively new academic discipline that has been recognized worldwide as a way to understand and address global challenges related to health. The One Health paradigm recognizes connections among the health of animals, the environment, and humans. New strategies are needed to cope with changing ecosystems that lead to altered patterns of disease transmission. Zoonotic infections (i.e., those spread between animals and people) are common in the U.S. and globally, such as the current COVID-19 outbreak. A One Health workforce is needed to prevent, detect, and respond to infectious diseases, epidemics, and pandemics in the U.S. and globally.
About the Program
The Graduate Certificate in One Health is a unique program that allows students to recognize the connections among the health of animals, the environment, and humans; build skills assessing and addressing public health problems from a holistic view; and integrate a systems-thinking perspective to program development.
Given the nature and the need to address current and future disease outbreaks, the graduate certificate in One Health is designed to prepare the next generation of public health practitioners, researchers, and other professionals on how to holistically address the health impacts of complex issues such as climate change, infectious diseases, epidemics, and pandemics both locally and globally.
Upon completion of the certificate, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate conceptual skills in addressing zoonotic diseases from One Health perspectives.
- Analyze interdisciplinary methods and tools to employ a systems thinking approach to One Health problems.
- Develop interpersonal communication skills that demonstrate respect for other perspectives and cultures.
- Evaluate the challenges and opportunities in addressing zoonotic diseases globally.
- Analyze how a One Health approach could serve plans for local, regional, national and global outbreak responses moving forward.
- Assess the role and importance of multi-sectoral collaboration in addressing zoonotic diseases from One Health perspectives.
Who Should Attend?
The Graduate Certificate in One Health is intended for graduate students and professionals who desire additional training in the growing field of One Health. This Certificate provides working professionals an opportunity to enhance their skillset and gain expertise in tackling complex problems at the intersection of human, animal, and environmental health.