The University of Arizona has a thriving international student body. Visit the Office of International Students and Programs for more information!
All international applicants must submit the required materials for the program to which they are applying. View How to Apply for more information on the application process. Please see the admissions criteria for the specific program to which you are applying.
We do not offer conditional admission at this time.
Students applying through SOPHAS who have significant coursework or who obtained a degree from a country other than the United States or Canada must have their transcripts evaluated by WES at www.wes.org/cas. Study abroad coursework does not need to be evaluated by WES.
Note: If you have already had your transcripts evaluated by an evaluation service, such as ECE, please e-submit your SOPHAS application first and then e-mail your transcript evaluation and copies of your transcripts to us at email@example.com (this must include a course-by-course evaluation and a GPA calculation on a 4.0 scale).
International applicants are required to submit one of the following scores, dated within two years of the year of enrollment:
- TOEFL // Minimum score of 90 on the iBT test (79 for the MS and PhD in Environmental Health Sciences). Send scores to SOPHAS via code 5688. MyBest scores are accepted.
- IELTS // An overall score of 7 is required, with a score of no less than 6 on any individual band or module.
- Pearson PTE Academic // Minimum score of 60.
- Graduate English Language Endorsement from the Center for English as a Second Language (CESL)
Please make sure to review the list of countries and whether citizens of your country are required to submit English proficiency scores: https://grad.arizona.edu/tools/intladmissionsreqs/
Exempt from submitting English proficiency scores are the following:
- Applicants who are US Citizens or US Permanent Residents
- Applicants from countries where English is the official language
- Applicants who have completed a bachelor's or graduate degree at a regionally accredited institution in the United States or an approved institution in an official English speaking country.
- Applicants who have not yet completed a degree, but have two years of full-time academic study and have taken 48 upper division, graded undergraduate semester units or 30 graded, graduate semester units from a regionally accredited institution in the United States. Units must not be older than two years from the term of enrollment.
- Refer to the Graduate College list of countries and whether we require official TOEFL/IELTS scores for applicants from your country, as well as minimum degree requirements from each country.
Please contact the Graduate College if you have any questions regarding the English proficiency requirement.
In addition to the admission requirements stated above, if an international applicant is recommended to the Graduate College for admission, he or she must submit a Financial Guarantee to the UA Graduate College.